In dramaland, there's a kind of love sickness that you can acquire when you started to adore and focus your attention to the male second lead character of the series. We call it the "SECOND LEAD SYNDROME" or simply S.L.S! (Ring a bell? :D) You sure know and understand this term if you're a certified "Asian drama fan girl" like me, but for those who are new residents or just a visitor in dramaland, let me take you in a sweet and enjoyable tour in order to be familiar of this sickness. But I'm warning you now, you should be careful because this disease is so contagious! You might get infected without even knowing... (Hihi . . .)
|I GOT IT!!! ^^|
Second Lead Syndrome is the condition used to describe when you started to love and focus more on the second lead guy than the male lead in a series. From the beginning, you are already aware and well-informed that he's just a supporting character in the drama but because of his irresistible qualities, you can't help but get mesmerized by him that you started rooting for his character until the end. There are known stereotypes among second male leads in dramas and they are the following:
- They are all equally good looking or sometimes even hotter than the male leads.
- Their names are always listed on the "FRIENDSHIP" category or sometimes, if they get lucky they become a "plan B" but still not a good spot because surely, the girl will still choose her plan A.
- They differ in personalities but one thing is parallel among them, their common denominator is their undying love for the female lead.
- They are PERFECT!!! Perfect in so many ways . . . perfect friend, perfect boyfriend, perfect husband and perfect soul mate.
- They will do and sacrifice everything and anything just for the sake of the girl their heart desires.
- They are always there, like a shadow, female leads can count on them all the time.
- They are helpful, trustworthy, loyal, kind, dependable, reliable, selfless, caring, understanding, patient, thoughtful, generous, and loving. Name it! They sure possess almost every good and positive qualities a guy can have..
- The second male leads never come first! (That's why the word "second" is always present on their names. Haha! LOL) Female leads always have their male leads first on their hearts.
- They share the same nickname, they are also known as the great : "KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR" of the female leads, but never a hero in the eyes of the heroine :(
- They are all experts of "one-sided-love"
- The female leads are always grateful for having them but not enough to love them. "Thank you" sounds like a broken record because they always hear it from the female leads but three words; eight letters- "I LOVE YOU" are not included on their vocabulary for second lead guys.
- They are all under a curse! The harsh truth that no matter how perfect and ideal they may be, the destiny is simply not on their side. The ill-fated second male leads will never get the girl of their dreams! (It's a cruel world! :( Well.. I guess, life is unfair!)
GET TO KNOW MY FAVORITE SECOND LEADS in ASIAN DRAMAS : I love them to the point that there was a time that I even want them to end up with the female leads instead of the male leads. They are the guys who gave me a hard time choosing between them and the male leads. They are the guys who made me having second thoughts on what side to take and what pairing to cheer for (male lead love female lead or second male lead love female lead? *sigh!*)
o.O THE MEMBERS of MY SECOND MALE LEAD LEAGUE O.o
(in no particular order)
Role : WON JOON HA
Drama : Stars Falling From The Sky
Actor : Shin Dong Wook
Role : YOON SOO HYUK
Drama : Lovers in Paris
Actor : Lee Dong Geun